There are lots of great ways to cook eggs and poultry. These are just a few of our favorites:
1 refrigerated pie crust
6 eggs (from Clucky Hen Farm- of course!)
1 ½ cups whole milk or goat milk
1 ½ cups shredded cheese of your choice
1 ½ cups chopped broccoli and/or mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup chopped onion
2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté garlic, onions and other vegetables in olive oil until they are mostly cooked.
- Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper until smooth
- Mix cheese vegetables, cheese and egg batter together.
- Press pie crust into deep dish pie pan and pour egg-vegetable mixture into crust.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Check by inserting a toothpick in the quiche. The toothpick will come out clean when it’s done. Add additional time if necessary.
The Perfect Roasted Chicken
1 whole chicken (from Clucky Hen Farm- of course!)
2 lemons (orange or grapefruit also work great with this recipe!)
1 clove minced garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
Optional: onions, small potatoes and baby carrots will taste great when roasted in the same pan as the chicken. If you’re using a crock pot, add them half-way through the cook time. You can add them from the start in the oven.
- Thaw the chicken out, by taking it out of the freezer 24 hours before cooking and placing it in the fridge. Thawing it in a bath of salt water will make it especially tender after cooking.
- Rinse the chicken, inside and out and trim any excess skin from around the neck. Place it in a crock pot or in a roasting pan (on a rack).
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the chicken. Salt the inside of the chicken. Cut the other lemon in half and stuff it inside the chicken.
- Tie the legs of the chicken together with kitchen string.
- Brush olive oil over the skin of the chicken and shake a generous amount of salt, parsley and pepper on it. Sprinkle the minced garlic over the skin.
- Roast the chicken for 1 ½- 2 hours at 350 degrees in the oven or 4 hours (on high) in a crock pot. You can tell the chicken is done when juices run clear when you cut between the leg and thigh.